Re: FC4 on Laptop, does it work??

Tomas Larsson wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: fedora-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:fedora-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of David Cary Hart
Sent: Saturday, February 18, 2006 8:08 PM
To: fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: FC4 on Laptop, does it work??

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 19:27:09 +0100
"Tomas Larsson" <tomas@xxxxxxx> opined:
As I suspected.
Will both the pad and usb-mouse work.
Is there drivers for the ATI video avaible somewhere?
Any other culprits to think about?
Like: S-Video Out, the Fn-keys, IR-connections, Energie management, soundcard, hotswap cd/dvd -- Floppy etc?

It is extremely safe to install FC4. If you have any problems, post the output from "lspci -vv" I have Fedora working on two laptops; a very old Dell and a relatively new Sony. The only issue (on both) is the modem. If I really needed it, I could figure out one of the various solutions.

BTW, I have an ALPS touchpad and a USB Logitech. Both work on the Sony.

Ok, time to wipe XP from that laptop then.

Never done any destop install before (only server), which dektop to use?
Pros and cons with the various ones?
Anything special to consider?

Will it work from stock, or do I need to do a special build and create my
own install CD's?

With best regards

Tomas Larsson
Sweden

Verus Amicus Est Tamquam Alter Idem

Both mouse options work fine. I know that on a Compaq a coworker of mine has, the touchpad and the mouse worked out of the both. The ATI drivers (the RPM versions are better in my experience than the installer ones) and I run mine at 1200 x 800 with no problems. As for desktops, I was a diehard GNOME fan, but KDE 3.5 is sensational and KDE 4 looks to be even better. Haven't seen much buzz on the latest GNOME versions, so I don't know about it. As for pros and cons, I can't really say. Just about any package will work with either of the major desktops. I would say the standard install will get nearly all of the components working except for (possibly) any wireless card you have in the box. Otherwise it should be only a couple of things that might need tweaking.

--
Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator