Re: PC speaker does not speak

Mike McCarty wrote:

> Jim Cornette wrote:
>
>> Sam Varshavchik wrote:
>>>
>>> Even after modprobing pcspkr (and verifying that it's loaded, via
>>> lsmod), I can't seem to make my laptop squawk.  "echo -e '\\007'",
>>> neither in a terminal window, nor or any one of the ALT-VTs, seems
>>> to have any effect.
>>

>> I don't know the CLI equivalent. If you click on the volume control
>> properties and then highlight the pc speaker choice, echo -e \\007
>> will result in a beep. I messed with the settings a moment ago after
>> the posting related to the volume settings.
>> There is a slide control to set the pc speaker volume on the open
>> volume  control.
>

> That's interesting, because the hardware has no possiblity
> of actually changing the volume. It's a bit port with a
> timer channel attached.
>
> Mike

With laptops, the speaker output is often routed through the sound
card. So you have a mixer setting for the speaker. If this is set
too low, you will not hear the speaker output. You are not adjusting
the speaker output, but its input level to the mixer. You can do the
same thing on a desktop by connecting the MB speaker output to a
sound card input instead of a speaker. I believe the speaker input
on sound cards go back to the original Sound Blaster card. At least
I have some ISA sound cards, including an old Sound Blaster in my
junk box that have the speaker input. And every laptop that I have
worked with that had a built-in sound card has routed the speaker
output through the sound card.

Mikkel