Re: Missing dependencies - FC4

On Fri, 2006-02-17 at 18:00 +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Friday 17 February 2006 14:35, Jeff Vian wrote: installed.
> > > What's wrong?
> >
> > Possibly package mismatches (yum dependency hell) that sometimes occurs
> > when you use more than the default repos for update.
> > You did not say what repos you have enabled but at times they are out of
> > sync, or their packages conflict with each other or with the core repos.
> >
> > It may take a little bit of judicious testing to identify the problems,
> > and posting the actual messages you get may assist us in helping you.
> >
> I had just added FreshRpms to the list actually provided by yum/yumex.  I
> didn't think quickly enough to take a screen shot.  I'll try this evening to
> get a list of the packages that I was trying for, then run them through yum
> instead of yumex.  Hopefully I'll then be able to capture the messages in
> full.  Meanwhile, from memory and scribbled notes, it was something like
>
> XFree86-libs required by synaptics
synaptics is not an FC4 package.  You can uninstall it to remove this
message

> XFree86-libs required by gnomeutils
Did you mean ghome-utils?  If so, what version of gnome-utils do you
have.  I have gnome-utils-2.10.0-4 and it certainly does not require
anything from XFree86.

> libdpstk.so required by ImageMagick
This one and the last one can be fixed by uninstalling ImageMagick, do
the update, then if ImageMagick is needed do a reinstall.  I suspect
this is repo dependency conflicts.

> xorg-x11-libs-6.8.2-37.FC4.49.2 required by xorg-x11-xfs (unsure of writing
> there)

> libdps.so1 required by ImageMagick.
>
> Anne
All of this can be cleaned up by going back to just the base repos
(base, updates-released, extras) and doing an update while fixing any of
these errors by removing the packages causing the conflict. After the
errors are cleaned up then a judicious use of different repos to get
those extra packages you want is good.

I avoid these types of errors by only having the base 3 repos enabled by
default and then enabling the others on a per-use and as-needed basis.