RESOLVED: VERY OT, But this guy really needs help

Mike McCarty wrote:
Over on the Debian lists is a guy who clobbered his partitions

[snip]

Just got this on Debian. Thanks very much all who responded.

So I got up this morning (on the west coast, as you hoped), booted up
into knoppix again, and started backing up my MBR and first sector of
each partition.  Then I noticed an icon on the knoppix desktop listing
hda7 as a mountable partition, so I thought I'd try it again.  Exactly
the same way as last night,

sudo mount /dev/hda7 /mnt

but it mounted!!!  No errors.  So I immediately backed up off-site
everything I might possibly need, including the MBR and first sectors
of each partition.  Then rebooted without knoppix, making no changes,
and success!  I even have the two new partitions I wanted.

I remember now that cfdisk warns you that you may need to reboot in
order to read the new partition table properly, but it just didn't
occur to me this time.  I'm sure glad I didn't start deleting and
re-creating the partition table.

Several lessons learned, a _relatively_ easy way:

1.  backups don't count unless you have them on hand

2.  in addition to data, back up the MBR and first sector of each
partition before messing with the partition table:
dd if=/dev/hda of=hda.mbr bs=512 count=1
dd if=/dev/hdax of=hdax.mbr bs=512 count=1

3.  after changing your partition table, you really do have to reboot
- at least this is my best guess as to what the problem was.

Thank you for all your efforts Mike!  I'll return the favour to
someone if I can't to you :)

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.