Re: My Machine Won't Boot

Rejean Proulx wrote:
I reinstalled my entire system and now have a kernel and grub, but the machine won't get passed the device listing. It is as if it can't figure out where to boot from. The boot order is correct in the bios. It is as if there is no MBR on /dev/sda? Any suggestions?

Yes, you may not have installed GRUB properly. The MBR is a physical
location on disc, so there IS an MBR there, perhaps not a valid one.
For the BIOS to load it, the last two bytes must be 0x55 0xAA (I
forget the order). I can't tell from what you wrote exactly what
the symptoms are. Could you please tell us what hapens when you try
to boot? Does GRUB execute at all? If it does, what does it
put on the screen?

I looked at my other linux computer which is Debian. the only difference I can see is that my other computer has
root (hd0,1) on working computer and
root (hd0,0) on the broken machine. What does that number to the right of the comma mean? How do you fix an MBR?

This is the way GRUB names discs/partitions. (hd0,0) is the first
partition of the first disc, and (hd0,1) is the second partition
of the first disc.

How one fixes an MBR depends on in what way it is broken.
With more information perhaps someone here can help you. I'm not
a GRUB guru.

Do you have a floppy on that system? I found that, when I was having
problems with boot, having a GRUB boot floppy was a big help. After
I got to where I could boot from the floppy, I knew what to put into
the GRUB configuration files.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.