Re: Installing Grub And A Kernel

Rejean Proulx wrote:
I need to reinstall my kernel and grub using the rescue cd or the rescue
option on the install dvd for fc4. I tried the command grub-install but it
won't install grub because the kernel hasn't changed. There is no kernel on
md0. How do I make it install the kernel again. I am trying to fix my boot
partition to get it to boot.

As there is no screen reader on the fc4 dvd, it is difficult for me to
search the cd as I must get my wife to read  the screens. Sure wish speakup
was on that cd.

Is there a documented list of tools and scripts documented somewhere for the
rescue process?

Rejean Proulx
Visit my family at
http://interfree.ca
MSN is:
rejean@xxxxxxxxxxxx

The rescue CD should contain tools to make recovery easier for all.

Anyway, I believe you want to enter Linux rescue. Next you want to chroot /mnt/sysimage. You also want be sure that you have the /boot partition on your system mounted. This should have become detected by the rescue mode entry. However, since you do not have a kernel installed, you might need to mount the boot partition. Usually you will have a /mnt/sysimage for your root partition and another /mnt/sysimage/boot partition before you chroot to /mnt/sysimage.

List of tasks you need to do.
- Get into rescue mode and chroot to /mnt/sysimage.
- Ensure that you have your /boot partition mounted.
- Change to the RPMS directory or a directory which contains the kernel that you want to install.
- Install the desired kernel RPM with rpm -ivh
- check /etc/grub.conf to see if it contains information for the kernel.
- run grub-install /dev/<my-boot-drive>
- reboot

I hope this advise helps.

Jim

--
Today you'll start getting heavy metal radio on your dentures.