Re: OT: Two ways Microsoft sabotages Linux desktop adoption

2006-02-16 (木) の 09:46 -0800 に Bob Taylor さんは書きました:
> On Thu, 2006-02-16 at 07:48 +0100, Ralf Corsepius wrote:

Plenty do, but not because they like to take risks, rather, they
understand the license and are _happy_ to play by the rules.

How many products can we name that the author came home from vacation
one day to find a partner had sold the product out from under him? If
the author uses the GPL, it can't happen, because even if the partner
sells the original copyright, anyone, including the original author, can
fork the last version that was published (legally) under the GPL and
keep right on trucking.

however, ...

> > > Yes, but RMS would prefer that the LGPL did not exist.
> >
> > Yes, this is his opinion. It's a political statement of his, you can
> > agree with or not.
>
> As the author of the (L)GPL, his interpretation will carry great weight
> in a court case.

The intent of the author of the code in question takes precedence over
the intent of the author of the license. Is that not clear?

Unless the author specifically assigns the copyright to the fsf (and see
above concerning that), Stallman's opinions have only advisory weight.

> Remember, the Clib with GCC at its initial release was GPL'd.

And?

> > > You'll note there's nothing like, say, libreadline in
> > > there.
> >
> > Exactly, because it's GPL'ed. LGPL and GPL are different things.
> > Though they are similar, they are substantially different.

And that's an interesting case, because that reveals both relevant sides
to the GPL. The GPL on libreadline induced the team for one or more
important projects to go GPL at one point, but, since then, the
_functionality_ of libreadline has been reproduced several times, and
the competition between versions has been beneficial for all. Work and
sweat and time traded for progress, but that's what life is all about.

Some of the _good_ re-implementations of libreadline are _not_ under
GPL. Copyright is not pantent.

> Unless the manufacturer of RealPlayer has a signed written statement
> from the FSF they are hoping they will not be sued by the FSF.

The FSF will _only_ pursue infractions when they have permission from
the copyright owners to do so.

Blast it guys, you are wasting time and bandwidth talking about stuff
you openly admit you don't want to understand. I and others then feel an
obligation to leave record in the list that your interpretations are
wrong, which wastes our time as well. This flamewar has proceeded
exactly like this before.

Stop it.