Re: OT: Two ways Microsoft sabotages Linux desktop adoption

Mike McCarty wrote:

they wish...I guess I missed Les' point.

Well, you need to read the GPL and LGPL more closely.
In order to produce a runnable program (or a driver)
one needs to link with libraries. These libraries
are either GPL or LGPL, makes not much difference.
You too need to reread those licences; there's an enormous different.

Both GPL and LGPL have virus-like properties of infecting

LGPL dies not apply to code linked with it, just to modifications and direct (ie not linked) derivitives.

If glibc were GPL, then your application would become GPL if you linked with it (there are borderline cases, this is a ferinstance ok?).

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait