Re: OT: Two ways Microsoft sabotages Linux desktop adoption

On Wed, 2006-02-15 at 23:36, Mike McCarty wrote:

> One interesting thing I just noticed for the first time (or perhaps
> noticed again after a few years, and didn't remember). It states that
> section 6 states the terms for "distribution of such executables". So
> one might argue that if one links such an executable on his own machine
> by linking it at load time, but does not distribute it, then 6 has no
> force, since it is not distributed.

There has never been any question that you can 'use' GPL'd works
that you have modified yourself even if the modification
involves adding non-GPL'd components.

> In any case, no corporation is going to use anything which is GPL or
> LGPL and risk being taken to court.

They do use it, they just can't distribute it - not even if they
want to give it away.  Which means that the rest of us won't
ever have it.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx