Re: ref: Microsoft barriers to Linux adoption on the desktop

On Thu, 2006-02-16 at 08:37 -0700, Robin Laing wrote:
> Mike McCarty wrote:
> > Guy Fraser wrote:
> >
> > [I wrote]
>

> >> As far as I know, the 80386 was the first processor supported
> >> by Linux, or BSD but I don't know. Back in those days, I
> >

> > What I said. MicroSoft products are better able to run
> > on old hardware than Linux.
> >
> > You agree, so there's no need for further discussion.
> >
> > Mike
>
> But can these products be purchased today?
>
> For the record, was Linux even available before the 386?  What was the
> current processor available with Linux first came out?  What was the
> current microsoft product.
>
> You also cannot compare Linux to DOS.  It was more than DOS from day
> one so it is an unfair comparison.

The first Linux kernel was availablew in late 1991.  The 386 was already
out by then and IIRC the 486 came out by 1993 and the Pentium by 1995.
I first used RedHat 4.0 with the 1.3.XX kernel so that was the
486/Pentium days

In fact, Linus email where he announced the kernel running was dated
August 25, 1991 and it says the kernel was written on the 386.

The history for Linux gives this in the release notes for the 0.01
kernel.
    Hardware needed for running linux:
	- 386 AT
	- VGA/EGA screen
	- AT-type harddisk controller (IDE is fine)
	- Finnish keyboard (oh, you can use a US keyboard, but not
	  without some practise :-)