ref: Microsoft barriers to Linux adoption on the desktop

Hi to all,
Just something to think about.  If MS Windows came with the software included
with a typical Linux distribution, how much would it cost?  If your computer
comes preloaded with Windows XP, you probably save some money over buying the
boxed version (I guess, haven't really investigated). With Windows you end of
having to buy a lot of add on products (Unless you just want to browse the
net, send e-mail, play Solitare, and use Microsoft Works... if Works came
with your computerr).  Once you add a more capable firewall, Office software,
Cd burning software, etc., how much have the cost of a Windows computer gone
up?  If you just want to do something as simple as take a screenshot, you
have to download something else.  But to be fair to Microsoft, if they were
to include everything you need, they probably would never quit being
investigated for antitrust violations :)

Another issue.  What are people using Windows 98 doing for security updates
right now?  It is no longer supported...right?  Do people using older Windows
version realize that they will probably end up having to buy a new computer
soon if they want to keep using Windows?  I'm pretty sure Windows Vista won't
run very well on a Windows 98 box.

In my opinion, Windows XP is a pretty good OS.  I've never really had any
problems with it.  But then again, money is a consideration for me.  I really
want to be able to make my present computer last for a while.  True, it only
has a 1.5 gig processor, but I can only type and think so fast anyway (that's
a joke :)  I can see me using this computer much longer with Linux than
Windows.

--
For God so loved the world, that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever
believes in him should not perish, but have eternal life.