Re: ref: Microsoft barriers to Linux adoption on the desktop

Mike McCarty wrote:
Guy Fraser wrote:

[I wrote]

It looks to me like MicroSoft products are much better able to keep
older hardware going than Linux.

I don't have to. NO version of Linux has EVER run on an 8088 or
an 80286. Period.

[snip]
As far as I know, the 80386 was the first processor supported
by Linux, or BSD but I don't know. Back in those days, I

What I said. MicroSoft products are better able to run
on old hardware than Linux.

You agree, so there's no need for further discussion.
Would someone show me their copy of Windows running on an 8086/8088? Or for that matter an 80286, except as an interesting toy? I'm willing to stipulate that MS DOS ran well on those processors. As did PC DOS, and DRDOS, and CPM/86 (and probably a few more that I'm missing). I know a professional writer who still uses the DOS version of Word Perfect, because it does everything she needs, with no learning curve. That doesn't mean I have to (or even want to) use the same tools I used in 1980. I don't even want to go back to using Windows 3.1 (which only ran on '386 or better processors).
   Cheers,
Gordon Keehn