Re: df, lvm and 6TB arrays oh my!

On Sat, 2006-02-11 at 11:26 -0500, Mark Haney wrote:
> I am having a problem with df reporting the wrong disk size on a couple
> of 7TB arrays on a Fedora box we are using.  I have an lvm group on each
> array of 6.36TB  when I run  df this is what I get:
>
> /dev/mapper/Volume02-Volume02lv
>                       2.4T   33M  2.3T   1% /mnt/arrays/array2
> /dev/mapper/Volume03-Volume03lv
>                       2.4T  950G  1.3T  43% /mnt/arrays/array1
>

> When I run vg display this is what it reports:
>
> pvdisplay  PV Name               /dev/sdd
> pvdisplay  VG Name               Volume03
> pvdisplay  PV Size               6.36 TB / not usable 6.00 TB
> pvdisplay  Allocatable           yes (but full)
> pvdisplay  PE Size (KByte)       4096
> pvdisplay  Total PE              1666397
> pvdisplay  Free PE               0
> pvdisplay  Allocated PE          1666397
> pvdisplay  PV UUID               UlaSJI-9Srm-e3AW-LdNW-g2HG-v6ZE-4yWwPw
> pvdisplay
> pvdisplay  --- Physical volume ---
> pvdisplay  PV Name               /dev/sdc
> pvdisplay  VG Name               Volume02
> pvdisplay  PV Size               6.36 TB / not usable 6.00 TB
> pvdisplay  Allocatable           yes (but full)
> pvdisplay  PE Size (KByte)       4096
> pvdisplay  Total PE              1666397
> pvdisplay  Free PE               0
> pvdisplay  Allocated PE          1666397
> pvdisplay  PV UUID               mK7WWj-UV0p-N6Qc-zhx6-EK3J-g0CO-g65ljs
>

> I've looked around for a lvm tool to display the correct sizes, but
> can't find one.  Is there something I'm missing?

Not sure why you are using LVM if you are going to entirely allocate the
VG, might as well just use the partition directly....

First problem.  Given the PE Size of 4MiB, you might be hitting a limit
on how much of the PV can be used.  You probably should have bumped up
the PE Size when you created the VG....  Take a look at the man page for
vgcreate (no it can't be changed after the fact), but this may identify
the "not usable" phrase you are seeing.

pvdisplay has nothing to do with the filesystems, supplying that means
nothing.

Now lvdisplay will show you the size of the underlying logical volume
(Virtual partition).  df is showing you the size of the filesystem laid
on top of that logical volume.  You haven't told us what Fedora version
you are running, but, yes, I would be concerned about it reporting
2TiB....  Showing us lvdisplay output and tune2fs output could probably
tell someone more....

--Rob