Re: df, lvm and 6TB arrays oh my!

Robert Locke wrote:
On Sat, 2006-02-11 at 11:26 -0500, Mark Haney wrote:
I am having a problem with df reporting the wrong disk size on a couple of 7TB arrays on a Fedora box we are using. I have an lvm group on each array of 6.36TB when I run df this is what I get:

/dev/mapper/Volume02-Volume02lv
                      2.4T   33M  2.3T   1% /mnt/arrays/array2
/dev/mapper/Volume03-Volume03lv
                      2.4T  950G  1.3T  43% /mnt/arrays/array1

When I run vg display this is what it reports:

pvdisplay  PV Name               /dev/sdd
pvdisplay  VG Name               Volume03
pvdisplay  PV Size               6.36 TB / not usable 6.00 TB
pvdisplay  Allocatable           yes (but full)
pvdisplay  PE Size (KByte)       4096
pvdisplay  Total PE              1666397
pvdisplay  Free PE               0
pvdisplay  Allocated PE          1666397
pvdisplay  PV UUID               UlaSJI-9Srm-e3AW-LdNW-g2HG-v6ZE-4yWwPw
pvdisplay
pvdisplay  --- Physical volume ---
pvdisplay  PV Name               /dev/sdc
pvdisplay  VG Name               Volume02
pvdisplay  PV Size               6.36 TB / not usable 6.00 TB
pvdisplay  Allocatable           yes (but full)
pvdisplay  PE Size (KByte)       4096
pvdisplay  Total PE              1666397
pvdisplay  Free PE               0
pvdisplay  Allocated PE          1666397
pvdisplay  PV UUID               mK7WWj-UV0p-N6Qc-zhx6-EK3J-g0CO-g65ljs

I've looked around for a lvm tool to display the correct sizes, but can't find one. Is there something I'm missing?

Not sure why you are using LVM if you are going to entirely allocate the
VG, might as well just use the partition directly....

First problem.  Given the PE Size of 4MiB, you might be hitting a limit
on how much of the PV can be used.  You probably should have bumped up
the PE Size when you created the VG....  Take a look at the man page for
vgcreate (no it can't be changed after the fact), but this may identify
the "not usable" phrase you are seeing.

pvdisplay has nothing to do with the filesystems, supplying that means
nothing.

Now lvdisplay will show you the size of the underlying logical volume
(Virtual partition).  df is showing you the size of the filesystem laid
on top of that logical volume.  You haven't told us what Fedora version
you are running, but, yes, I would be concerned about it reporting
2TiB....  Showing us lvdisplay output and tune2fs output could probably
tell someone more....

--Rob

Okay here's the output of lvdisplay, as you see it shows the correct volume size of 6.36TB:

lvdisplay    Finding all logical volumes
lvdisplay  --- Logical volume ---
lvdisplay  LV Name                /dev/Volume03/Volume03lv
lvdisplay  VG Name                Volume03
lvdisplay  LV UUID                KIP9EC-cmXg-Aa3A-XwQE-Cfuk-c3gq-JFp2az
lvdisplay  LV Write Access        read/write
lvdisplay  LV Status              available
lvdisplay  # open                 1
lvdisplay  LV Size                6.36 TB
lvdisplay  Current LE             1666397
lvdisplay  Segments               1
lvdisplay  Allocation             next free (default)
lvdisplay  Read ahead sectors     0
lvdisplay  Block device           253:2
lvdisplay
lvdisplay  --- Logical volume ---
lvdisplay  LV Name                /dev/Volume02/Volume02lv
lvdisplay  VG Name                Volume02
lvdisplay  LV UUID                F4J6HR-WeND-0RoP-849M-TBJ8-XQl8-62XD1O
lvdisplay  LV Write Access        read/write
lvdisplay  LV Status              available
lvdisplay  # open                 1
lvdisplay  LV Size                6.36 TB
lvdisplay  Current LE             1666397
lvdisplay  Segments               1
lvdisplay  Allocation             next free (default)
lvdisplay  Read ahead sectors     0
lvdisplay  Block device           253:1
lvdisplay

I am not completely familiar with tune2fs so bear with me on that output. Oh, and I'm running this on FC2 unfortunately. It's a production system that was NOT built by me, but I cannot take it out of service to upgrade to a newer OS. I firmly believe this to be a limitation of the versions of the e2fsprogs tools.

--
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415