X11 / gdm / xorg / XDMCP / kernel updates / module-init-tools / udev? WEIRDNESS

Ok, something weird has happened in the last month or
so and nobody seems to have posted a complete
explanation.  It may be several different issues.  I
have 2 FC4 machines;

machine A: AMD 1700+, .5G, scsi, nvidia tnt2,
2.6.14-1.1656_FC4 yum says 114 updates pending.

machine B: Intel 2.0G, .5G, scsi, ati 9250,
2.6.15-1.1831_FC4 yummed through yesterday.

Problem started when B was updated some 10 days ago
and would not run X on ATI 9250 (pci).  Tried all the
display reconfigure tricks and could not get a
workable xorg.conf.  Finally got it to work by
removing all "dri", "dpms" references, putting in a
BusID "PCI:2:0:0" and applying the testing
module-init-tools (3.2-0.pre9.0.FC4.1).  Thank you,
whoever posted that!

Ok, got my console X working again just fine.

Now I notice I can't XDMCP from a windows box with
Xming anymore to EITHER A or B (but I can just fine to
a Solaris 10 box).  Used to work just fine (and VNC
still works).  But now I get the login page, enter
user/pw then blue screen only.

/var/log/messages shows the gdm(pam_unix) session
opened then has this "gdm_slave_xioerror_handler:
Fatal X error - Restarting 192.168.1.2:0" EXACTLY 3
minutes, 30 seconds later.

I change gdm.conf to RemoteGreeter=/usr/bin/gdmlogin
from ...gdmgreeter, gdm-restart and presto, I can
login via XDMCP (works for both A & B).  But seems a
little sluggish and some menu items don't seem to work
(but term windows work fine).  When I click
desktop->logout, it starts to, closes some windows,
and then just hangs; for EXACTLY 3 minutes, 30
seconds.  Then I get the "gdm_slave_xioerror_handler:
Fatal X error - Restarting 192.168.1.2:0" in
/var/log/messages, and a new login window, which will
do it all over again.

There has got to be some reason one gdm greeter works
and the other doesn't.  And what is causing the
xioerror?  Why 3 minutes, 30 seconds?  devices?

I also noticed /etc/X11/fs/config was updated on 30Jan
and appears to have a typo "'" character halfway down,
which I removed with no observed effects.

Anyone got an idea for this weirdness?  Is there a way
to tell when a machine was last yummed?  Is there a
way to tell when updates were released before applying
them?  That way I could lag a little when Fedora
starts throwing sloppy, little-tested releases at FC4.