Re: Desperate situation

On Sat, 2006-02-11 at 11:57 +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Saturday 11 February 2006 11:41, James Wilkinson wrote:
> >
> > If some-one *had* experienced problems, they might have told you -- but
> > who would be willing to say "No, there are absolutely no problems mixing
> > SATA and PATA"? It's very difficult to prove a negative like that.
> >
> Accepted :-)
>
> > I've heard of a few occasional problems to do with boot order (an OS
> > thinks one disk should be the "first" disk while the BIOS thinks it's
> > the other way round). That can normally be handled by grub and BIOS
> > options and the like.
> >
> > That sort of thing is likely to be obvious *before* the computer has
> > finished booting: if it boots correctly, it's going to be OK.
>

> I have vague memories of this sort of problems being reported, but my searches
> haven't come up with anything useful.  What I would have like to see is
> something like 'fine, as long as your bios allows x,y,z'.

Mind you, I did not say you will always have problems with jumpering
master/slave on the CS cable.
My experience was a system that had been working fine but suddenly began
getting weird problems, similar to what you have described, Anne.
I spent several weeks trying everything I could think of since I knew
the drive was good.  If I had only one drive attached there were no
problems, and if I put it in another machine there were no problems.
Someone suggested moving the jumpering to CS so I did, and miraculously
the problems disappeared.

I have since used CS exclusively on those cables and have never (in more
than 12 years) had a problem with drives. YMMV, but I have always had
good luck using cable select in all that I do on PCs.