Re: Desperate situation

On Friday 10 February 2006 23:57, Edward Dekkers wrote:

> Anne, as a system builder (9 Years) and GID, I'd just like to mention
> that our drives have ALWAYS been jumpered 'master' and 'slave'. Any time
> we encounter problems it is because we try to use CS, or incorrect hard
> drive positions on the cable.

While only building for family and friends, I have been building for around 15
years.  Cable Select has been an option for perhaps 12 of them?  Certainly a
long time.  It's probably about 6 years since I first had a mobo supporting
80-wire connections, and in all these years using jumpered settings has never
caused me a problem.  I'm not crazy enough to assume that it will always be
so - little surprises me in this fast-changing world.

> I'm not saying that what the other poster was saying wasn't true, but it
> is contrary to ANY experience I've ever had.
>
> iow: I agree with your initial assumption. I do not believe CS to be a
> great option. The few times we've gotten it to work, it seemed to take
> much longer to decide anything in POST stage.
>
> Mind you, I certainly should mention that for the last 14 month or so,
> this has been a moot point as systems here are built using SATA now.

The future is there, but for the moment I'm happy to stay with IDE.  I asked
on another ML whether anyone knew if mixing SATA and PATA caused any
problems.  I got no replies, so if I experiment with the mixture it will be
on a box that doesn't matter too much.

Anne