Re: Desperate situation

On Saturday 11 February 2006 11:41, James Wilkinson wrote:

> If some-one *had* experienced problems, they might have told you -- but
> who would be willing to say "No, there are absolutely no problems mixing
> SATA and PATA"? It's very difficult to prove a negative like that.

Accepted :-)

> I've heard of a few occasional problems to do with boot order (an OS
> thinks one disk should be the "first" disk while the BIOS thinks it's
> the other way round). That can normally be handled by grub and BIOS
> options and the like.
>
> That sort of thing is likely to be obvious *before* the computer has
> finished booting: if it boots correctly, it's going to be OK.

I have vague memories of this sort of problems being reported, but my searches
haven't come up with anything useful.  What I would have like to see is
something like 'fine, as long as your bios allows x,y,z'.

> The other problem I've heard about is
> http://linux.yyz.us/sata/sata-status.html#tx2 (SATA and PATA on the same
> Promise controller), which has a "preliminary patch" according to that
> site.
>
> But, in general, I haven't heard of any problems once you've got the
> machine working. I wouldn't expect any problems. If problems were
> widespread I'd have expected to have heard about them. I'd *especially*
> have expected to have heard of problems with SATA hard drives and ATAPI
> (parallel) CD drives, since that appears to have been *very* common.
>
> Hope this helps,

It does.  Considerations like this often brew at the back of the mind for some
time, while more urgent things are addressed.  Your reply convinces me that
it will be worth trying next time I need to change a drive.  Thanks

Anne