Re: RESOLVED: Re: OT(?) FC2 Very slow printing to HP DeskJet 870Cse

On Wed, Feb 08, 2006 at 11:07:49AM -0800, Kam Leo wrote:
> On 2/8/06, Mike McCarty <mike.mccarty@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Mike McCarty wrote:
> > > Off topic due to age of FC2?
> > >
> > > Anyway, have installed an HP DeskJet 870Cse, and it prints
> > > unbearably slowly, like 30 minutes per page.
> >
> > Oh frabjous day! Calloo! Callay!
> >
> > Success at last! Using GNOME I edited the printer driver options
> > to "Prerender Postscript" enabled, and I have now printed a 26
> > page document (which includes the "test page" I've been printing)
> > start to finish, including queueing time and one paper jam I had
> > to clear in just under six minutes. That's just about four pages a
> > minute. Just the one "test page" was taking over twenty minutes.
> > That's more than 80x speedup.
> >
> > So, one misconception I had was that this is not a postscript
> > capable printer. Apparently it is. But the postcript interpreting
> > engine is S-L-O-W.
> >
> > Pre-rendering was the trick.
> >
> > Thanks all for your time and help.
> >
> > Where should we make note of this, if at all?
> >
> > Mike
> >

> You might try the CUPS site. I believe they have an FAQ.  Also your
> experience is not unique. Many people with old postscript printers
> forget that the engine in thoses things run in the 10s of megahertz.
> Today's desktop/laptop processor is at minimum an order of magnitude
> faster so it makes more sense to perform the rendering at the host.

I've got a Lexmark Optra Color 40, Postscript inkjet printer. Its engine
is also fairly slow, but nothing like as slow as the OP describes
his HP printer to be. Sometimes it takes a while to get a page out of
it, for complex pages, so maybe I'll try the 'pre-render' thing too.

--
---- Fred Smith -- fredex@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -----------------------------