Re: Problems with my pipe

Norman Gaywood wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 08, 2006 at 11:07:51AM -0600, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>
>>Wally Winchester wrote:
>>
>>>Hello,
>>>I'm having a problem with my pipe, please can anyone have a look and see
>>>what's wrong with it?
>>>
>>>$ mkfifo testpipe
>>>$ logger -u testpipe message
>>>connect: Connection refused.
>>>
>>>Same when run as root.
>>
>>The problem is that a named pipe is a file, and not a socket. You
>>are using the wrong tool for the job. If you tell us what you are
>>trying to do, maybe we can come up with a way to do it.
>

> Indeed. Why not just use?
>
>   logger -f testpipe message

The -f option is for an input file, and not for where to send the
message. In this case, the message would be logged, and testpipe
would be ignored. (I tested this.) If you used

  logger -f testpipe

then testpipe would be opened for reading, and the sent to syslog.
Here are the sections of the man page that I think apply to this:

-f file  Log the specified file.
(not log to the specified file...)

message  Write the message to log; if not specified, and the -f flag
         is not provided, standard input is logged.

Mikkel