OT(?) FC2 Very slow printing to HP DeskJet 870Cse

Off topic due to age of FC2?

Anyway, have installed an HP DeskJet 870Cse, and it prints
unbearably slowly, like 30 minutes per page.

I have used Google, but no joy. Many hits, but none
seems to look just like this one.

Printer is direct connect, no other computers on a LAN etc.
Printer is connected to parallel port.
I am using an IEEE compliant bi-directional cable purchased
just two days ago (just in case the old cable might contribute
to the problem, no change).
No other printer installed.

As an example of print speed (if that is the correct word)

$ ls -l test.txt
-rw-rw-r--  1 jmccarty jmccarty 16 Jan 17 00:44 test.txt

$ cat test.txt
This is a test.

$ lpr test.txt

Here are the elapsed times to significant events...

0:00	hit return on command
0:06	printer data light flashing, loaded sheet of paper
0:38	printer actually printed something, not all...
	at approximately 10 second intervals, printer moved
	the print head, data light flashing continually
1:58	sheet ejected, with one line on it printed

So, two minutes to print "This is a test." I have to believe
that, since the data transfer light was flashing the whole
time, something is translating this into a giant
postscript program, or into a pure bit map, or something,
and transferring a huge amount of data. There must
be something wrong in my setup for this printer.

Here is what (Red Hat Symbol)->System Settings->Printing
gives for the printer.

Queue Type
	Queue Type: locally connected
Queue Options
	At start: no banner
	At end:   no banner
	Top margin: 36	right margin: 36
	left margin:36  bottom:       36

	cpi		12
	lpi	 	 7
	page-bottom	86
	page-left	57
	page-right	57
	scaling		100
	wrap		true
Printer Driver
	DeskJet 870C	hpijs
Driver Options
	send FF			no
	send EOT		no
	assume unknown is text	no
	prerender postscript	no
	convert text to ps	yes
	effective filter locale	C
	res,qual,ink,media	300 dpi,Color,Black+Color Cart
	page size		letter
	model			HP DeskJet 870C
	printout mode		normal

I have another queue for that printer which does two-up printing,
but I haven't checked it for speed. I just know that this queue
is unbearably slow, and I must have set up something wrong.

I tried changing the option "convert text to postscript" to
no, but that made no change.

I would like some direction on how to proceed with this.

Thank you for your time in reading this message.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.