Re: Combine a 2.4 GHz pc with a 500 Mhz pc?

Billy Tallis:
>> How responsive is the slowest one with an app like Firefox? I use a
>> machine that is 200Mhz and 64MB and FF is very slow.  I do agree that
>> Gnome isn't as slow as one would expect,

Slow to start, not to bad to use once going.

Donald Arseneau:
> I'll bet!  Any chance of stealing more memory?  On a 266MHz PII
> I installed a third 64M (for 192M tot) when going to FC3, because
> 128M was too slow.  I do find Gnome and KDE slow, so use XFCE or
> icewm.

I tried various window managers on my weakest box.  You're a bit
hamstrung if you want to use any graphical configuration tools.  Fedora
only seems to provide Gnome or KDE ones.  Likewise, several other apps I
want to use, use Gnome; so you may as well use the Gnome window manager.
Avoiding it lets you get a graphical login quicker, but the first
application you use has a long slow start, so there's no benefit.

A friend of mine had 64 megs of RAM, and that was awful to attempt to
use.  I tried 128 megs, that was quite painful.  Adding 64 megs to that
makes things slightly better.  256 megs seems to be about the sweet spot
where an unburdened machine works well.  A bit more than 256 helps if
you're going to task it a bit, but I couldn't tell any difference
between 385 and 512 megs, so I carved up my RAM between boxes.

If I recall correctly still have something like 20 megs free memory if I
do something like e-mail while web browsing and instant messaging.  It
drops to just a few megs if I try to use Open Office at the same time as
some other things.

I read messages from the public lists.