Re: Kernel 2.6.15-1.1830 lock-up issues

On Wednesday 08 February 2006 1:11 pm, Nancy Merckle wrote:
> On Sat, 4 Feb 2006, Claude Jones wrote:
> > Installed the new kernel this am, and updated all my modules (fglrx and
> > ntfs, plus the vmwareplayer). All seemed well. Returned to the machine
> > some time later and it was in screen saver. I have this machine set to
> > require a password  to exit screensaver. It took the password and the
> > desktop opened. Then, I noticed there was no mouse cursor. Looked at the
> > CPU activity monitor and it was pegged at 100%. Waited a long while but
> > to no avail. Was able to switch to a console with Ctl-Alt-F1 but before I
> > could log in, I got a kernel panic and some messages about being unable
> > to sync. I did a hard reset and came back up, and then tried a reboot.
> > The screen switched to black after a moment, and the machine hung - no
> > commands accepted, no activity visible on the machine, nothing - did
> > another hard reset. Per an earlier message, I tried upgrading
> > module-init-tools from updates-testing. Tried another reboot, but got the
> > same result again when I tried a shutdown... For now, I've booted into
> > the previous kernel.
>
> I think I have similar issues.  First thing I noticed was that udev had
> failed.  Then I got messages to the effect of "Buffer I/O error on device
> hdb1, logical error" and "dev/hdb1 read failed after 0 of 2048
> input/output error. No volume groups found."  Using a live CD I was able
> to boot up the system, but my hard drives are not found with the live CD.
> I did have the USB drive visible which seems strange.
>
> After a night of searching out stuff on the web, and trying to find the
> answer in a linux book here at home, I finally figured out how to
> boot into the the previous kernel and am getting the same messages. I
> finally got in contact with the guy who helped me upgrade this system
> and he's thinking I need to re-install the OS.  I'm afraid I might have a
> bad disk.  Any suggestions on how to proceed?  I plan on trying to go back
> a few more kernels before giving up to a reinstall.

You might try booting into runlevel 1 and trying a yum update. I doubt you
have the same issues as I, because your description is much more severe. My
symptoms were cured by a new fglrx module from Livna - the first one they
created had problems, and the subsequent one fixed my issue. fglrx, in case
you don't know, is the proprietary driver from ATI for their line of video
cards.
--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA