Re: Combine a 2.4 GHz pc with a 500 Mhz pc?

On Wed, 2006-02-08 at 11:14, Donald Arseneau wrote:
> Billy Tallis <wtallis@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > How responsive is the slowest one with an app like Firefox? I use a
> > machine that is 200Mhz and 64MB and FF is very slow.  I do agree that
> > Gnome isn't as slow as one would expect,
>
> I'll bet!  Any chance of stealing more memory?  On a 266MHz PII
> I installed a third 64M (for 192M tot) when going to FC3, because
> 128M was too slow.  I do find Gnome and KDE slow, so use XFCE or
> icewm.

If you have a much faster machine available on your network
than the one on your desktop, you can always boot your own
machine to runlevel 3 and start X with:
X -query faster_machine
so you can log in graphically and run everything including
the gnome desktop on the fast box.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx