Kernel 2.6.15-1.1830 lock-up issues

Installed the new kernel this am, and updated all my modules (fglrx and ntfs,
plus the vmwareplayer). All seemed well. Returned to the machine some time
later and it was in screen saver. I have this machine set to require a
password  to exit screensaver. It took the password and the desktop opened.
Then, I noticed there was no mouse cursor. Looked at the CPU activity monitor
and it was pegged at 100%. Waited a long while but to no avail. Was able to
switch to a console with Ctl-Alt-F1 but before I could log in, I got a kernel
panic and some messages about being unable to sync. I did a hard reset and
came back up, and then tried a reboot. The screen switched to black after a
moment, and the machine hung - no commands accepted, no activity visible on
the machine, nothing - did another hard reset. Per an earlier message, I
tried upgrading module-init-tools from updates-testing. Tried another reboot,
but got the same result again when I tried a shutdown... For now, I've booted
into the previous kernel.
--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA