Re: Autostarting Apps at Gnome Login

On Wed, 2006-02-08 at 11:36 -0500, Thom Paine wrote:

> > You can define startup applications in the session manager:
> >
> > Gnome Menu -> Desktop -> Preferences -> More Preferences -> Sessions
> >
> > Then go to the Startup Programs tab and add the new programs you want to
> > startup at login.
> >

> Well I've jsut been experimenting with this. I am able to get my apps
> to start automatically now, but I can't seem to get them on
> workspaces. I don't understand the env DISPLAY properly, so I was
> experimenting with it. I tried this.
> # Autostart Some Apps
> env DISPLAY=:0.0 xterm -geometry -0+0 &
> env DISPLAY=:0.0 evolution &
> env DISPLAY=:0.0 firefox &
>
> Which works, but they are all on the first workspace. I tried
> DISPLAY=:0.1 but I guess that isn't it. Can I make this work this way
> somehow or do I need to use the devilspie?
>
> Thanks.

The DISPLAY variable is simply the default display in use where that
value is output. If, for example, you are running a dual display
configuration using multiple X servers (as opposed to xinerama), you
will get different values on each physical display.

To define the startup workspace using metacity (GNOME's default WM), you
will need to use devilspie.

For example, I have a file called ~/.devilspie/evolution.ds which
contains:

(if
  (contains (window_name) "Evolution")
    (begin
      (geometry "1580x1090+10+10")
      (set_workspace 1)
    )
)

This sets a configuration for both the geometry (on a 1600x1200 lcd) and
starting workspace for Evolution on startup.  Note that I use the
'window_name' variable rather than the 'application_name' variable, lest
all Evolution related dialogs come up with the indicated geometry. This
is a subtle, but important difference and there are examples on the
aforementioned pages.

HTH,

Marc