Re: Printer preferences and FC4

On Tue, Feb 07, 2006 at 12:46:21PM -0700, Craig White wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-02-07 at 11:56 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Tuesday 07 February 2006 08:50, Bengt Lindholm wrote:
> > >System-config-printer / Cups= localhost:631 was configured at
> >
> > They are NOT interchangeable.  Please ignore system-config-printer (its
> > a known broken package) and use only the <http://localhost:631> web
> > interface to do the configuration.  Playing mix-n-match is a sure way
> > to keep on having problems.
> >
> > >FC4-installation time to use A4 paper size and still is.
> >
> > Installation time for any FC uses system-config-printer.  Remove, by
> > hand, any /etc/printcap files you find and then use the web interface,
> > which should work ok then.  In fact, I use it as the homepage setting
> > at launch for all the browsers I have installed.
> ----
> the problem with advice like this is that some people will actually
> accept this information without a grain of salt. I haven't a clue what
> your definition of a 'known broken package' is but in my view...it's
> perfectly functional so it's clear that what you are terming 'known
> broken' is relative to the person making the judgment call.
>
> In other words...system-config-printer works fine on FC-4...I use it all
> the time.
Well how about this. You want to print to a HP Color Laserjet 3500 so
you install HPLIP which has the proper driver. But
system-config-printer cannot see that driver so it can't configure
such a printer for printing. I call that broken. There are other
problems with system-config-printer which could be enumerated.
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University
telephone: (210)-999-7484