Re: Wireless network sharing

On Mon, 2006-02-06 at 16:30, Mike Chambers wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Got a quick question that a friend asked at work.  He has a network of
> desktops and laptops at home, all connected via Wireless-G router
> (Linksys), either wireless or via cable.  Can the wireless machines
> share files/devices with the cabled machines, no matter the OS?  Yes, in
> his environment he is running Windows (not sure which version), but also
> asking in my case, of running Windows XP AND Fedora.
>
> I think he said the problem he ran into was it told him he had to
> connect the cable and basically, I guess, wouldn't do it via wireless
> connection.

There should be no problem.  Do that here all the time.

Unless he has firewalls on individual devices blocking connections or
has devices defined in different networks there should be no problems.

Start by trying to ping from one device to another.  If that works then
try using ssh or scp.  If he wants to do full windows file sharing he
will need to read up on samba for the linux systems and either setup
shares on the linux boxes for the windows systems to access or mount
shares that exist on the windows systems on his linux boxes.

Specific error messages and detailed network diagrams would help.