Re: symbolic link in USB disk

On 2/6/06, Ian Malone <ibmalone@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Yuandan Zhang wrote:
> Hi, I have a usb disk and mounted using this command in /etc/fstab
>
> /dev/sda1               /mnt/USBG          vfat
> exec,noauto,users,rw,shortnam e=mixed 0 0
>
> Symbolic link is not permitted in this mounted disk. How to make symblic
> link permittable on this disk?

The FAT filesystem won't support symbolic links, although you can still
make symlinks to files on a FAT fs from file systems that do support
them.  If you really want to do this you'd need to reformat it as
something like ext2/3 or Reiserfs etc.  I'm not sure why you'd want to
know, as the link probably won't be meaningful when you plug the USB
disc into a different machine.

thanks for info. I used to have a ntfs of this disk, but I can't write on it. that's why I converted it  to FAT fs.  I want symbolic links because i use this disk as a clony of a work dir for backup and homework purposes. there are a number of internal symblic links in that.

--
imalone