Re: OT(?) FC2 Very slow printing to HP DeskJet 870Cse

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
Mike McCarty wrote:

Here's a copy of /proc/interrupts. Can anyone help
me figure out whether the machine is even configured
to accept interrupts from the printer? I don't see
anything which would lead me to believe that it is.

You are not using interrupts for the printer port. You may
want to run tunelp to turn it on. You probably need:

tunelp /dev/lp0 -i 7

Tunelp can also make other adjustments for you...

Mikkel

Hmm, I missed this part...

NOTE: This option will have no effect with kernel 2.1.131 or later since the irq is handled by the parport driver. You can
change the parport irq  for  example  via  /proc/parport/*/irq.
Read  /usr/src/linux/Documentation/parport.txt for more details
on parport.

# uname -r
2.6.10-1.771_FC2

# ls /proc/parport
ls: /proc/parport: No such file or directory

# ls /usr/src/linux/Documentation/parport.txt
ls: /usr/src/linux/Documentation/parport.txt: No such file or directory

Hmm...

Google turned up a document named parport.txt, but it looks
rather old.

I did find this...

# cat /proc/sys/dev/parport/parport0/irq
-1

And -1 happens to be what tunelp reports.

I wonder whether putting a 7 in there would help
any.

# cat /proc/sys/dev/parport/parport0/autoprobe
CLASS:PRINTER;
MODEL:DESKJET 870C;
MANUFACTURER:HEWLETT-PACKARD;
COMMAND SET:PCL,MLC,PML;

which looks correct as much as I understand (command set
I dunno)

# cat /proc/sys/dev/parport/parport0/modes
PCSPP,TRISTATE,EPP

Hmm. EPP looks ok, I guess. I dunno what PCSPP means.

# cat /proc/sys/dev/parport/parport0/spintime
500

I wonder whether tuning this might speed things up?

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.