Re: Bios flashing w/fed4_64

Gilboa Davara wrote:
On Sun, 2006-01-22 at 17:26 +0000, Ian Malone wrote:

Gilboa Davara wrote:

HUH?
I just updated my new K8NS BIOS and it requires the same old (Free)DOS
boot.
They just help you by giving you a default autoexec.bat file, saving you
the need to remember the flash command line options. (And BIOS image
name).

Gilboa

Well, it's on my now elderly GA7 DXE (socket A), a bios based update
called Q-Flash. From the manual:

A. What is Q-Flash Utility?
Q-Flash utility is a pre-O.S BIOS flash utility enables users to
update its BIOS within BIOS mode, no more fooling around any OS.
(sic)

The previous motherboard to that was an almost identical GA7 DX+,
which had to be replaced after attempting to remove a northbridge
heatsink which I thought was bounded with epoxy but was actually
thermal tape[1]. Maybe they've stopped using it?

[1] For anyone thinking of trying this; if it's thermal tape,
twisting will get it off. Try that /first/.
--
imalone ♘

Umm...

I just checked my GA7N400L and it uses the same DOS aflash utility.
It's logical to assume that the flash utility depends on the maker of
the BIOS.
All newer Gigabyte boards seem to use Award BIOS' which forces them to
use the same flash.exe DOS utility for BIOS upgrades.

Interesting, the manual claims it does Q-Flash (although the manual from
the giga-byte website is for the 7n400pro2, but the only feature
difference bios-wise is supposedly a dual bios in the pro version
(page number 71, page 75 of the pdf).

--
imalone ♘