Re: Bios flashing w/fed4_64

Ian Malone wrote:

John Summerfied wrote:

Gilboa Davara wrote:

I doubt it. I've yet to see a Linux flash utility. (Being tied to a
certain BIOS/MB combo, I doubt that we will ever see one)
Most flash utilities either use DOS (99%) or both Windows and DOS (~1%).

Gilboa

I've got one or to mobos that can read direcly from floppy. (I'm not sure they actually have floppy drives attached, several of my machines haven't).

Sometimes (often?) freedos will do the job; I think Dell and/or HP uses Freedos regardless of what their actual instructions say.

AOL: my last two Gigabyte MBs have been able to update the bios directly from a file on a floppy without Win / DOS (and save the current bios directly too). One
of the reasons my next MB will be a Gigabyte.

Interesting. Can they update from a USB memory stick, too? My only reason for installing floppy drives these days is to permit BIOS updates.

Steve