Re: Question concerning Hal, autofs, USB hard disks and ext2 fs

On Sat, Jan 21, 2006 at 05:13:10PM -0600, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Now, if you really wanted to, I guess you could make a HAL rule that
> would change permissions on the mount point after the file system
> is mounted. The question is, do you really want to do this? About
> the only time you might want to do this is if you are moving data
> between systems with different UID and GID mapping.

Well, this is excactly what I want to do. Or should do on another
machine, too. And I think this can be a reasonable default for handling
these kind of devices on a workstation installation. I am aware of the
problem when attaching the device to a machine where I have a different
uid. But I am also aware, that on all my Fedora machines at home, at work
and so on I have the same uid, cause I am the user that has been setup
during installation. Basically all the machines are single user
workstations.

And even if it makes a die-hard unix user shiver, it allows me and my
girlfriend to exchange disks, cause she has the same uid on her machine.
:)

Well, but back to my problem. Do you know where I can read about the hal
stuff? Or how to configure these things? I never looked into it and some
googling this evening didn't bring up any useful information.

Best regards,
  Oliver

--
Oliver Andrich --- oliver.andrich@xxxxxxxxx --- http://roughbook.de/