Question concerning Hal, autofs, USB hard disks and ext2 fs

Hello,

after using Fedora Core 4 for a while and enjoying the integration of my
various USB sticks and devices, I am currently looking into attaching a
USB hard disk. Well, it basically works. I attach the device, turn it on
and then the available partition gets mounted. So far so good.

First of all I would like to use ext2 on the disk, cause fat32
feels a little bit strange to me. It is okay for USB Sticks and stuff,
but not for a 250GB USB disk I want to use for backup and external
storage. No problem, I can format the disk with ext2.

But here my problems and questions start:

- Why is a fat32 disk mounted under a mount point that is owned by the
  current user?
- Why isn't this the case with ext2 formated disks?
- The result is, that I have an attached, mounted and ext 2 formatted
  USB disk, but contrary to the experience with fat formatted device, I
  am not able to access the device as the user I am currently locked in.

Okay, I can do all the stuff I want as root, but why shall I want to
do it? What I expect as a user is, that I can just use the disk as I
would do with a fat disk.

I am perfectly aware, that ext2 has some other requirements and
possibilities compared to fat32. But all this is irrelevant for a usb
disk in my eyes. I just want the realiability of ext2.

So, my question is, how can I change the behaviour of mounting an ext2
usb disk in such a way, that it is comparable to the way a fat32 disk is
mounted?

I hope my question and thinking behind it is understandable.

Best regards,
  Oliver Andrich

--
Oliver Andrich --- oliver.andrich@xxxxxxxxx --- http://roughbook.de/