Re: Sendmail

Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Saturday 21 Jan 2006 11:58,
> replies-lists-redhat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>> the "Address already in use" is the hint here.
>>
>> this error is coming from sendmail. yesterday you were indicated you
>> were having problems with postfix. is postfix (fully) shutdown? if
>> not it's probably what's holding the port.
>>
>> a "netstat -ap" (as root) will show you what's binding on a port.
>> shut it down and try starting sendmail again.
>>
> I think that possibly it was caused by a missing link in the chain.  I
> found that I had not set dovecot to start at bootup, which I have done
> now.  I started dovecot, and the messages have stopped.
>
> Thanks for the suggestion.  Now onto next problems ;-)  I'll get this
> server sorted if it kills me <g>
>
> Anne

Your sendmail issue may not be sendmail at all. In an install of Postfix
(from a BSD point of view) Postfix creates a file called sendmail. I
don't recall it it renames the original or not (I assume it does).

If the install of Postfix is somewhat the same as BSD, then you still
are running postfix. If you installed postfix via source tarball, there
should be a readme on what's installed and where.

Undo what the readme says. If you installed via rpm, I would think
removing the rpm and perhaps an updatedb/reboot is in order.

Next, running setup and looking at the services might tell you something
also.

Just some ideas from a Linux newb

--
Best regards,
Chris

A drug is that substance which, when injected into a
rat, will produce a scientific report.