Re: Unexpected change of file owner:group

J. K. Cliburn:
>> When the sticky bit is set on a directory, files in that
>> directory may be unlinked or renamed only by root or
>> their owner.  Without the sticky bit, anyone able to
>> write to the directory can delete or rename files.

Chasecreek Systemhouse:
> Further down it will say that the sticky bit isn't all that "honored'
> these days too...

Further *UP* it mentions that it's ignored on "files", just
"directories" make use of it, now (and they really do).  As mentioned,
the /tmp directory uses it, and needs it.  You try logging into Gnome as
an ordinary user if the sticky bit isn't set for it, and it immediately
logs out again.

I read messages from the public lists.