Re: 'GPL encumbrance problems'

Mike McCarty wrote:
> Andy Green wrote:
>
>> Please read
>>
>> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2006-January/msg02996.html
>>
>> Just dynamically link to the LGPL'd libs.

> I guess that you are not very well acquainted with embedded
> development. Dynamic linking and virtual memory are real

Actually I do embedded development for a living.

> no-nos in real-time work. You really really really need
> statically linked images, and a static memory map with
> no paging.

Here in 2005 we have lovely chips like the 180MHz Atmel AT91RM9200,
which I am using with 8MB of flash and 16MB of 90MHz SDRAM.  that chip
has dual 16kByte cacahes, but it's midrange nowadays for embedded.
People are using embedded Pentiums, 600MHz ARMs and so on.

I have a full Linux distro in there with RPM, gdb and it is all
dynamically linked, because once you have multiple apps running, running
them all with static linked libs is stupidly wasteful of memory.

Don't you agree?

-Andy