Re: 'GPL encumbrance problems'

On Thu, 2006-01-19 at 04:43 -0800, jdow wrote:
> this is why I do not elect to develop for Linux. I see it's viral
> licensing as being too big a risk for one person to face alone. That
> is all I said in that first comment. It's all I continue to say. For
> *ME* it is not a suitable choice for development efforts that are
> designed to provide me with my living.

Not knowing anything about what you might be doing, if you considered it
worth your while, is this really a problem for you, a lost opportunity
for us, or just an intellectual discussion?

There's plenty of other computer OSs to earn your living through, with a
wider user base, too.  And have we *really* suffered, as Linux users,
because we don't have Microsoft Office, et all?  Much of what I've used
that's commercial hasn't been "better" than what wasn't commercial, just
different.  Thus far, virtually everything has been an improvement, the
more I've moved into using Linux instead of the dark side.

As an abstract concept, I can't really think of a way of making masses
of money out of selling fancy writing paper, and aren't concerned that
other things don't allow me to do so.  I make my money in some other
way.  Now, if the thing that I couldn't exploit was the only possible
way that I could earn a living, that would be a problem.  But it isn't.

I tend to view Linux like many other things that are hard to define
their worth in dollar terms, but it's existence is worthwhile.  Not
everything in life should be about money.

I read messages from the public lists.