Re: 'GPL encumbrance problems'

Paul Howarth <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
It's like seeing some whiz-bang control you might like to use if you're
a Visual Basic programmer, except that the license for the control costs
$1,000. If you don't want to pay the $1,000, you don't use the control.
What's the difference?
Good example, Paul. There >IS< a 'Gift Debt'  that comes from using opensource, which according to my perspectives is the imperative to 'pass it forward'.  You cannot directly repay those whose shoulders you stand on, but you can  'pass forward'  their gift to the next guy.

If that concept holds one back, then maybe a serious life self examination is in order. Linux is free, but not as in Free Beer. Karma, to me, is a very real thi! ng. One pays for one's decisions , and the actions from them. Make a few bad decisions and see what happens. Recieving a gift on one hand and wanting pay for some augmentation of the gifts on the other just goes against the spirit of the Linux Movement. That concept of 'paying forward' is worthy and just, according to all of the Prophets as well. (waxing spiritually here.) The Age of Aquarius arrives, steadily although slowly,  through movements such as this.

You can make money from your labor, offering support, release copies of CD's, shipping & handling. My own project has 6.7 million potential clients, so I figure a buck or so average will enable me some of life's basics and some extra to spread around. Sure, I'll give away the software! That's a no brainer, I don't need to absorb all the money there is in circulation, unlike someone I could name. Just some of it.

As Paul says, the other alternative is to enter the marketplace and pay as you go. No g! ift-debt there, just monetary consideration. I like the possibility of repaying my 'Gift Debt' with contributions of my own, according to my skill levels and life-experience.  I might make a buck or two, and as far as karma goes, I'll make what the universe will provide me, in this lifetime, according to the need to do what I'm about. If it's not worthy, I'll starve! <g>

And so it goes... <Nama Skar> Ric

Yahoo! Photos