Re: 'GPL encumbrance problems' (jdow)

Erwin Rol wrote:
I wonder whether you
	(a) are a troller
	(b) are actually incapable of comprehending written English
	(c) cannot think clearly due to emotional upset/anger/whatever
	(d) have a personality disorder
	(e) something I don't know what it is, or
	(f) all of the above.

Nice way to try to personally insult someone, guess that means the end
of this thread for me.

You have argued repeatedly against claims which weren't made
by anyone on this thread.

One claim that was made was that a program that uses a GPL library can
be put under any license you like, which is not true.

I didn't see that claim. But I didn't claim that the *only* claims
you argued against were claims that weren't made. I claimed that
you have repeatedly argued against claims that weren't made.
Arguing in this way is a logical error which is so common it has
a name.

A second claim was that a library under the LGPL would force a LGPL/GPL
license on your program , which is also not true.

Please support this statement. I quoted to you (in another message)
where the LGPL specifically states that it does force itself onto
the exectuable. For your convenience, here is a link:

http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/lesser.html

See section 5.

A third claim was that the Linux kernel forces every program run on
Linux OS to be GPL, which is also not true, since the kernel authors
clearly stated that userspace programs are not derived works from the
kernel.

I'm not competent to respond to this, due to ignorance of the issues.

A fourth claim was that Microsoft DLL Licenses don't for a certain
license on your programs, which is also not true (just reread your
Visual Studio License).

First, I find that sentence a little difficult to parse. But I'll
go with what seems a resonable meaning to attribute to it.

That was not the claim I saw made. This is an example of you arguing
against a claim which was not made. See one of my other messages
explicating this matter.

A fifth claim was that companies like Oracle and Vmware also use GPL
libraries for their software, which is also not true, they use LGPL
libraries.

And you have personal knowledge of this fact? Or what is your source?
I have no knowledge of whether Oracle or VmWare use either GPL or LGPL,
libraries or any combination of them.

Don't bother replying to this because this Trolling non English
understander with a emotional personality disorder will not continue
this conversation anymore.

Ok. I won't expect a response to any of my other messages, either.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.