Re: 'GPL encumbrance problems' (jdow)

Erwin Rol wrote:

On Wed, 2006-01-18 at 08:20, Erwin Rol wrote:

How does that relate to who controls which piece?  Why should it
not be left to the end user whether he is willing to obtain
the required licenses to the parts he wants?

Because you make money by selling your software that depends on someone
else his work, that's why. And the owners of the GPL library don't
control anything but the use of their library. If you don't like that
don't use their library for your software.

This is all any of us have said. I wonder why you got so
agitated when we said exactly what you just did.

[snip]

And you _demand_
that it comes for free and gratis! If you don't like the GPL license of
the library, rewrite it, nothing stops you from doing that.

I'm not demanding anything.  I'm pointing out that the GPL tries
to assert control of components that belong to others and prevents
many useful combinations of things from being available at all.

No others try to take control of GPL software, nobody forces those
"others" to use the GPL software for their product.

Where is this mythical person trying to take control of
GPL software? What I see here is people who say they
avoid the use of it. In my dictionary "avoidance" and
"control" don't mean the same thing.

Ummm, no.  In many cases it is used  intentionally to prevent
other people's improved versions from competing against the
company's own commercial version (MySQL, ghostscript, etc.).
In other cases the effect may be accidental, but it is still
anti-competitive and prevents end users from having the choice
to pay for the improved versions.

*shock* *horror* Commercial companies like MySQL dare to charge money

I wonder whether you
	(a) are a troller
	(b) are actually incapable of comprehending written English
	(c) cannot think clearly due to emotional upset/anger/whatever
	(d) have a personality disorder
	(e) something I don't know what it is, or
	(f) all of the above.

You have argued repeatedly against claims which weren't made
by anyone on this thread.

[snip stuff not responsive to the subject matter]

Can someone please point me to the law that says "you are forced to use
GPL software" since apparently some people feel they are forced to use
this unfair GPL license.

What's the point of it existing then if people shouldn't use it?

The point is I (and I think a lot of others) use it, and I don't care if
you do. You are free to not use it.

And that's all anyone here (whom you so violently oppose) has said.
We have all said "Because of the nature of [L]GPL source and how it
invades other people's works, we chose not to use it in our programs."

It is plain copyright law, you are not allowed to copy my work
(installing it on your machine is copying) without my permission. And I
(and others) happen to only give that permission in the form of the GPL
license. Whats so hard about this?

Nothing. Nobody objected to it, either. We did say that as a consequence
we don't use [L]GPL source with our programs. Which is what you said we
should do. So why are you upset?

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.