Synaptics Touchpad Stopped Working

My sister recently purchased a new Acer 5002 WLMi laptop back in early
December.  I convinced her to let me install FC4 on it so now I have to
make it work.

2 nights ago she came by my house and I installed gtkpod on the laptop
for her to use her to use in syncing with her ipod.  I was never able to
get gtkpod to sync with her ipod for reasons I don't yet understand.  I
left that laptop running untouched for about an hour while we ate dinner
- when I came back to the laptop, the synaptics touchpad had stopped
working.  I had no mouse action whatsoever.  The synaptics touchpad had
been working correctly prior to my leaving the laptop.

After multiple reboots the touchpad remains dead as a doornail.  I can
plug in an external USB mosue and it works without any problems.  when
booting, the system seems to recognize the synaptics tochpad as I have
the following in the dmesg log file:
SELinux:  Disabled at runtime.
SELinux:  Unregistering netfilter hooks
Synaptics Touchpad, model: 1, fw: 5.9, id: 0x126eb1, caps:
0xa04713/0x4000
input: SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad on isa0060/serio1
floppy0: no floppy controllers found
sis900.c: v1.08.08 Jan. 22 2005
PCI: Found IRQ 3 for device 0000:00:04.0
PCI: Sharing IRQ 3 with 0000:00:06.0

however, when I run  synclient  I get the following message:

$ synclient -h
Hardware properties:
    No touchpad found
    Do you use a newer kernel than 2.4?
    Then browse the messages or boot.msg for the hardware info
$

The mouse configuration portion of the xorg.conf looks like this:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Synaptics"
        Driver      "synaptics"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
        Option      "Protocol" "auto-dev"
        Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
        Option      "SHMConfig" "on"
EndSection

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this problem?  Is it possible that the
Synaptics touchpad is defective?  Thanks in advance for your help.

Charlie