Re: Fedora Core 3 Transferred to Fedora Legacy

On Mon, 2006-01-16 at 23:33 -0800, jdow wrote:
> From: "Rahul Sundaram" <sundaram@xxxxxxxxxx>
>
> > Hi
> >

> >> I I don't want to join it for the sake of a month; I wish to go from
> >> three to five. I prefer not to rejig my yum configurations and/or
> >> up2date configurations, and I don't wish to go to four at this late
> >> state.
> >
> > Pretty simple. Continue getting updates from Fedora Legacy till Fedora
> > Core 5 is released.
> >
> >> "responsibility to contribute."
> >>
> >> Jo and I don't contribute? You gotta be joking. We've both been
> >> helping out on these lists for years (with a minor break or two when
> >> RH left us).
> >
> > If you would like to get updates from Fedora Legacy project for a longer
> > duration you will have to contribute to that project specifically which
> > is what I meant earlier in context.
>
> You're not listening, Rahul. That leads me to wonder just who constitutes
> the community that does the influences Fedora policies. I guess folks on
> this list are basically peons who are not part of the "community" or at
> least we're not as equal as other members.
>
> We're aware of the policy. We disagree with it. And we're agitating for
> a change. It appears to affect John directly. It won't affect me until
> 6 test 2. But I expect I'll get plenty annoyed at that time. And if the
> annoyance is big enough I can go for some honest autocracy and setup
> with FreeBSD. (And maybe lose some of the GPL encumbrance problems.)

Well, let me just jump in say that *I* request that FP not change their
policy.  I knew going in that I was on a forced march.  This has been
the policy since Day 1.  I started with FC1, and a few weeks after FC2
release upgraded to that, then FC3, then FC4.  The point of my use of FC
is to experience where Red Hat is going with RHEL, not as a production
system (though it is my primary OS on my laptop).  I do not want the
developers wasting their time on FC3 anymore.  I want them spending
their time getting FC5 in better shape as crunch time is here to get it
ready heading in to test3 then release.  I want it fairly stable so that
a few weeks after it's release it will be ready for me to upgrade to.

While, in theory, it is not much effort to continue "supporting" the old
release, it is a further distraction that *I* would prefer they not
spend *any* time on.  As a community member I fully endorse the current
arrangement.....

--Rob