Re: Is this real or spam

[not speaking on behalf of Red Hat or the Fedora Foundation]

Chasecreek Systemhouse wrote:

On 1/17/06, Elliot Lee <sopwith@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
saw a chance to ask people's opinions, I jumped on it.

Does/Must substantial support always mean money?  What about those who
have invested their time and efforts into testing, using, et al, etc.
The mail clearly mentioned that you do not have to offer any money at this point. The foundation is not even ready to receive donations at this point. Other forms of support and effort have always been significant and most welcome as usual.

If it does mean money -- does Red Hat have the mnost to gain from the
OS public at large efforts?

The idea behind the project has always been to be mutually beneficial. The user gets a Free and open source operating system with major feature additions every few months delivered by an organization with a large amount of expertise to provide advantages that the community on its own might not be able to do. Fedora project developers in return gain from by tapping into the feedback from the community at large. Also any donations to the Fedora foundation can only be spend on Fedora to my understanding.

 Would Red Hat not be a substantial
supporter?  I mean -- isn't the over all goal of the FC project to
become a testing ground for best of breed projects to make it into
RHEL?

Please feel free to set me straight because I think I may be confused.
The project can be faulted for not setting the expectations right. When the project started out the mapping between Fedora Core and RHEL was very direct leading to this criticism but over a period of time it was evolved into different dimensions of a community oriented project as originally planned out. There are packages in RHEL not part of Fedora Core as an example of this change in the product relationship. The opening up of Fedora Extras, handing over the lead efforts for many sub projects to the community members, the process involved in Fedora Foundation are all part of this goal. Setting up a foundation supported largely by Red Hat (which is likely to be desirable) seems to be an issue to gain 501(c) (3) status and the foundation needs to show substantial public support to attain this. The current query is to understand whether the community is interested in such a effort and then determine the subsequent steps based on your responses. Other details on the foundation is available from

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Foundation

There will be a more public announcement after all the deliverables are ready.

--
Rahul