Re: Copy files from read only fs as writable

Tim:
>>> I have a slightly different annoyance that I haven't resolved:  All
>>> files on a CD are mounted as executable.  I don't want that, it brings

John Summerfied:
> If the CD is created with rock ridge extensions, the permissions will be
> correct (that's what the extensions are for).

Though, I see all files on a CD being executable, including those which
were put onto a CD that weren't originally executable.  Not to mention
discs burnt elsewhere where you don't have any idea of their origins.

> Otherwise (typical of Windows and rellies), the permissions are much as
> on my USB stick above; that's vfat.

For Samba mounted FAT/VFAT disk drives I've masked out file X
permissions, while leaving directory ones alone.  It's not easy to do
with CD-ROMs.

> Mote, there's magic you can put in the mount commandline (and where ever
> the command's built) to say "noexec" and some other options.

I've done that, and it stops things being executed from the original
media, but you've got to remember to change the mode of any files that
you copy from it to somewhere else.  Every now and then I forget about
that, and end up with executable text and JPEG files that have come from
a Windows-burnt disc.

I read messages from the public lists.