Re: How copy /usr contents to a new partition?

Parameshwara Bhat wrote:
I did cpio as explained in other replies to this thread and then

rsync -avl between the /usr and mount point directories and nthen 'diff'ed between them. The diff reports some 'no such files', but they are all symlinks in the destination directory which point to /bin,/sbin and get corrected when the partition gets attached at /usr.

So far so good.Nothing seems to be amiss. Even Nautilus reports exact same number of files and bytes.

But, when I attach the partition at /usr and login in GUI, Gnome gives an error message 'no volume controls/devices were found'. But,then sound is available and kmix shows all the mixer controls. It is only the Gnome volume control applet which fails.Rest all appear to be alright.

I first did all the exercise from within GNOME-Gui and then outside of this in root console thinking an open file may not get copied correctly.Still the result is same.Any idea as to what could be wrong?

The app thinks your /var/cache/gstreamer*/registry* file is out of date.
Run (as root) "gst-register" and all will be well.

--
Bob Nichols         Yes, "NOSPAM" is really part of my email address.