Re: Re: How copy /usr contents to a new partition?

Message: 2
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 10:32:58 -0600
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: How copy /usr contents to a new partition?
To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
On Fri, 2006-01-13 at 01:50, Parameshwara Bhat wrote:

I want to copy /usr to a new partition and then attach that at
/usr. I
issued a command

cp -options(recursive included) /usr /mnt/"mountpoint

This resulted in the creation of a new "usr" directory under
/mnt/"mountpoint"/usr and contents of /usr went into sub-
directories. What
I want is to copy all the subdirectories and files directly
under /usr to
go at /mnt/"mountpoint" for obvious reasons. How do I do that?
"Man cp"
did not give me any clue.
I usually cd into the directory to be copied and use "." as
the source:
cd /usr
cp -a . /mnt/mntpoint/usr
since that eliminates the question of whether it will create
a new directory under what you specify.
Cp -a will take all the normal unix attributes (owner, modes,
etc.)
but not acls or the extended attributes for SELinux.  If you need
those, I think the current version of dump |restore is supposed
to get them, at least on ext3 filesystems.

Also, is there a command which compares each file under two
directory
trees for difference.(I want to verify after the above
operation)
Rsync will work - and it can be used for the copy as well
although
it consumes a bit more memory than cp.
cd /usr
rsync -av . /mnt/mntpoint/usr
if you repeat the rsync command it will check and update anything
that doesn't match.  If you add -n it won't actually do the copy
but because of the -v it will report the filenames that would
be changed if you hadn't used -n.
I did cpio as explained in other replies to this thread and then

rsync -avl between the /usr and mount point directories and nthen 'diff'ed between them. The diff reports some 'no such files', but they are all symlinks in the destination directory which point to /bin,/sbin and get corrected when the partition gets attached at /usr.

So far so good.Nothing seems to be amiss. Even Nautilus reports exact same number of files and bytes.

But, when I attach the partition at /usr and login in GUI, Gnome gives an error message 'no volume controls/devices were found'. But,then sound is available and kmix shows all the mixer controls. It is only the Gnome volume control applet which fails.Rest all appear to be alright.

I first did all the exercise from within GNOME-Gui and then outside of this in root console thinking an open file may not get copied correctly.Still the result is same.Any idea as to what could be wrong?

Parameshwara Bhat