Re: Help Kickstart

Mike McGrath wrote:
I'm trying to get a stable build set up for all of my machines so I
was trying to recreate the build I had on another machine so it could
be repeated.  I want only a specific set of packages and
system-config-kickstart only allows the selection of groupings.

So, I tried system-config-kickstart last night.  I used it to get an
'everything' build working on my other machine, and then took the
package listing from the anaconda-ks.cfg of the original custom build
and slid it underneath the %packages --resolvedeps directive and tried
again.  It failed trying to resolve the dependencies for the @ office
group.  It put me into a Python debugging session afterwards.

Does the fact that I'm attempting this from a floppy and the RPM's are
on a set of removeable CD's make any difference?  Perhaps
--resolvedeps can't do its work because it can't see all the RPM's at
install time?

Thanks - Tod

If you have a number of machines have you thought about setting up a
local http/nfs/ftp mirror for them to work from?  I have an HTTP mirror
here and its about the most convient thing I've ever set up.  Not to
mention that post install you can set yum to look at your local mirror.

If you wanted to you could post your KS config to the list and give us a
list of packages you want to have on it.  I'd be happy to check
formatting and syntax.

    -Mike

I'm heading in that direction but for now disk space is at a premium. As this is a learning experience (on Linux at least) I'm taking the time now to figure things out for later when I have the capacity to really automate things.

Incidentally, it would be nice it there was a little tool that would check your syntax, and even resolve dependencies, for you before you went to the trouble of trying a live build. Sort of like a combination of make -n and httpd -t.

I'll post my config file here shortly...

Thanks - Tod