Re: Anybody has some experience with bonding driver?

valentin antonescu wrote:
[snip OP and my reply]

>  First thank you for your answer. Second it is not the
> case you described. If I leave only one machine online
> the bonding works very well. As soon as I bring online
> the second machine the bonding starts going crazy. I
> have the same configuration in both and it doesn't
> matter which one I shutdown and which one I let
> running. I also configured the bonding in
> active-backup mode with ARP monitoring, and as the
> documetation describe MII Status field in this case
> has no relevance. "down" doesn't mean the carrier
> signal is lost but the gateway cannot be reached like
> before (doesn't answer anymore to arpinging)

Sorry, I missed that in the design doc, my bad. :-(

>  As a side note I tried the same configuration with
> MII monitoring and it works perfectly. The downside of
> it is that I cannot find out when connections beyond
> the first switches are going down :(

Let me clarify some things, are these correct?:

o Failover works when using MII monitoring, if one *or both* systems are up.
o Failover also works using ARP monitoring, providing only 1 system is up.
o Failover does not work using ARP when both systems are up.
o Failure is exhibited by the interface connected to the *working* route
being marked bad.

And some further observations:
o The network diagramme you provided shows both interfaces on each host
have the same MAC address, but ifconfig shows different MAC's for each
interface, and neither corresponds to the bonding MAC.
o Likewise the IP address you specify in the diagramme is different from
that used by the bonding device.
o You specify a primary interface, which may not strictly be necessary
o You specify only 1 ARP target, which probably doesn't matter in this
configuration as it is the end-point switch.

With that in mind, my next advice would be to check the MAC addresses
and IP addresses used on the hosts do not clash, and are correct.

It would also be good if you could update the web page so that
information from both hosts are side-by-side, in 2 columns. This would
make it much easier to see if there is any collision or misconfiguration.

All the best,
C.
- --
Craig McLean		http://fukka.co.uk