Re: Anybody has some experience with bonding driver?

> valentin antonescu wrote:
> [snip OP and my reply]
>
> >  First thank you for your answer. Second it is not
> the
> > case you described. If I leave only one machine
> online
> > the bonding works very well. As soon as I bring
> online
> > the second machine the bonding starts going crazy.
> > have the same configuration in both and it doesn't
> > matter which one I shutdown and which one I let
> > running. I also configured the bonding in
> > active-backup mode with ARP monitoring, and as the
> > documetation describe MII Status field in this
> case
> > has no relevance. "down" doesn't mean the carrier
> > signal is lost but the gateway cannot be reached
> like
> > before (doesn't answer anymore to arpinging)
>
> Sorry, I missed that in the design doc, my bad. :-(
>
> >  As a side note I tried the same configuration
> with
> > MII monitoring and it works perfectly. The
> downside of
> > it is that I cannot find out when connections
> beyond
> > the first switches are going down :(
>
> Let me clarify some things, are these correct?:
>
> o Failover works when using MII monitoring, if one
> *or both* systems are up.
=yes

> o Failover also works using ARP monitoring,
> providing only 1 system is up.
=yes

> o Failover does not work using ARP when both systems
> are up.
=yes

> o Failure is exhibited by the interface connected to
> the *working* route
> being marked bad.

=yes

> And some further observations:
> o The network diagramme you provided shows both
> interfaces on each host
> have the same MAC address, but ifconfig shows
> different MAC's for each
> interface, and neither corresponds to the bonding
> MAC.

=As I understood from the driver documentation the
bond changes the MAC to the first nic's MAC. You are
right, the cat /proc/net/bonding/bond shows the
initial/real MACs and ifconfig shows the changed one.
As I said I'm not a netadmin and I don't have a very
deep understanding of what this driver does.

> o Likewise the IP address you specify in the
> diagramme is different from
> that used by the bonding device.
=I did update the diagram now. It was left like this
from a previous configuration.

> o You specify a primary interface, which may not
> strictly be necessary
=Its the active interface, and the bond is changing
that actually.

> o You specify only 1 ARP target, which probably
> doesn't matter in this
> configuration as it is the end-point switch.

=You have the option to specify more than one target.
In our case is only one.

> With that in mind, my next advice would be to check
> the MAC addresses
> and IP addresses used on the hosts do not clash, and
> are correct.
>
> It would also be good if you could update the web
> page so that
> information from both hosts are side-by-side, in 2
> columns. This would
> make it much easier to see if there is any collision
> or misconfiguration.

=I'll do this today.

 thanks again Craig,
  Val